Monday, December 3, 2007

Timed essay ( Journal #28 )

Prejudice is a very dangerous way of thinking in our life. People will get hurt by the opinion that is not important. Because of prejudice, we are likely to lose friendships or break any kind of relationships and we can not fix forever. There are some examples that can explain how dangerous the prejudice is.

First of all, I remember that when I was in the high school, I had a bad relationship with my classmates but I did not know what the problems were. My classmates just didn’t want to talk to me or hung out with me. As time went by, I couldn’t stand anymore, so I tried to ask some of my classmates to understand that what happened to me. Finally, I got the answer that my classmates thought that I looked very proud, so they didn’t want to hang out with me. However, gradually, they found that I was not the person who they thought before and furthermore, they started discussing homework with me. One day, they told me that they almost lost a good friend just because of the prejudice.

Second, I think that most people have read a famous novel, proud and prejudice. In the novel, the main female character, Elizabeth, has a huge bias on the main male character, Mr. Darcy. Thus, Elizabeth doesn’t want to open her mind to discover Darcy’s advantages. Because of prejudice, these two people spend lots of time understanding each other and resolving the misunderstanding between each other. Fortunately, they notice that they have a wrong opinion about people on time and change their thinking to accept each other. So, even thought a good relationship can still be easily broken by a wrong opinion, that is, prejudice.

All in All, Actually, I agree that most of people have their own bias on others; however, I still believe that we have to observe others carefully and also give ourselves more opportunities to discover those people’s good. If we can possess this thinking, I believe that we will make more friends then we have now and we won’t be manipulated by the dangerous thinking, prejudice.

No comments: